One of you recently posted a comment on our blog asking,
Is there any way I can save pictures taken out of focus on my d60 Nikon?
Those nifty crime shows have led us to believe any blurry image can be made sharp with the right computer software. While this is not true, you can use Adobe Photoshop to add a small amount of sharpening.
Filter< Sharpen< Unsharpen Mask
Sharpening more than 150% at a radius of 1 will cause your images to look grainy and computer generated.
Tips for Preventing Blurry Snapshots
- The lens on Single Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras should be set to auto instead of manual focus.
- Take multiple shots. 9 times out of 10 you will have one print that is not blurry in the bunch.
- Find a source of stabilization such as a tripod or fence.
- Take a step back. It is hard for your camera to focus if you are extremely close to the subject.
- Point-and-shoot cameras usually have face detection software therefore you do not need to adjust your camera settings.
- When using an SLR try manually selecting your focal point. This allows you to control your focus.